Physical Education

Head of Faculty: Mr M Linbourne

The P. E. faculty organise & coach a host of sports teams that are consistently successful in local competitions, as well as running an annual sports day and a wide variety of lunch time activities throughout the year.

The Physical Education department is extremely successful and is well known in the Milton Keynes area for sport. All sports teams compete on the district level and the school also enters County competitions At Football, Basketball, Cricket, Netball and Badminton. Also the school is represented on a National level at Badminton, Basketball and football.

Students are expected to take an active part in all aspects of the programme. The extra-curricular programme is extensive.

All students at Key Stages 3 and 4 receive 2 hours of Physical Education a week. Students have the opportunity to take part at lunchtime and on the Inter-House programme. The school operates over 30 sports teams at all ages.

Physical Education and social development are encouraged through participation in a variety of team games and individual sports and activities.

An extensive extra-curricular programme complements the core curriculum.
At the end of each year the schools sporting success is celebrated with the annual colours assembly. Colours are rewarded for outstanding contribution to both curricular and extra-curricular activities.

Years 7-9

All groups are taught in single sex groups and are taught the following sports:
Basketball, Badminton, Football, Rugby, Hockey, Gymnastics, Fitness, Netball, Rounders, Cricket, softball, Tennis, Outdoor Education, Dance and Trampolining.

All students receive one indoor lesson and one outdoor lesson a week and they will need appropriate kit for both lessons. Please see pages 29-30 in the Student planner.
When learning about these activities students will develop and learn new skills, techniques, tactics and application of rules and regulations. Students will also start to learn the science behind Physical Education and the effects exercise has on our bodies.

Students will also develop leadership, observational and coaching skills and how to put them into practice. They will develop the ability to assess themselves and their peers, giving constructive feedback throughout.

Years 10-11


At Years 10-11 the school offer students the chance to study PE at GCSE level, utilising the AQA examine board if students choose to study this they are given a copy of the textbook that is returned at the end of their course.

Students studying GCSE will be assessed in four practical areas contributing to 60% of their final mark. The remaining 40% is theory based with topics such as Diet, leisure and recreation, training, social factors, school and physical education.

As well as offering the GCSE students still take part in two hours of PE a week.

GCSE Links:
GCSE Bitesize: http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/znyb4wx
AQA Pe: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/physical-education/gcse/physical-education-4890

Years 12-13

There are two pathways to choose from in Years 12-13 BTEC level 3 or the A-Level.

The BTEC course involves students studying 4 hours a week and this is course work based with no final exam, some of the units followed are Unit 1 Principles Of Anatomy & Physiology In Sport, Unit 3 Assessing Risk In Sport, Unit 8 Practical Team Sports, Unit 13 Leadership In Sport and Unit 23 Organising Sports Events, these are just a few of the units studied by students.

The A-Level course studied at Denbigh is the OCR exam board and involves students studying 4 hours a week and this course is both practical and theory with the practical worth 40 % and students being assessed in two sporting areas and the remaining 60% being a theoretical exam. The three theory areas studied are:

Unit G451: An introduction to Physical Education

Anatomy and Physiology (Section A)
The skeletal and muscular systems
Motion and movement
The cardiovascular and respiratory systems in relation to the performance of physical activity

Acquiring Movement Skills (Section B)
Classification of motor skills and abilities
The development of motor skills
Information processing
Motor control of skills in physical activity
Learning skills in physical activity

Socio-Cultural Studies relating to participation in physical activity (Section C)
Physical activity
Sport and culture

Unit G453: Principles and concepts across different areas of Physical Education

Section A: Socio-Cultural Options
Historical Studies
Popular recreation in pre-industrial Britain
Rational recreation in post-industrial Britain
19th-century public schools and their impact on the development of physical activities and young people
The developmental stages of athleticism in 19th-century public schools
Case Studies
Drill, physical training and Physical Education in state schools

Section B: Scientific Options
Sports Psychology
Individual aspects of performance
Group dynamics of performance and audience effects
Mental preparation for physical activity

Exercise and Sport Physiology
Energy
Health components of physical fitness
Application of the principles of training
Performance enhancement

Links:
OCR PE: Click Here

Edexcel BTEC: Click Here

Students are also given the opportunity to take part in leadership opportunities as part of the 6th Form enrichment plan.

 

 
 
 

Denbigh School, Burchard Crescent, Shenley Church End, Milton Keynes, MK5 6EX
Tel: (01908) 505030

Copyright © 2017 Denbigh School